new orleans is a horrific city. it is also my absolute favorite city in the world. and i am a traveler, so you know, i’ve been places and stuff.
did i just sound fancy? my bad.
as much as i adore this city, i am not naive to it’s shadier side. the dude that mugged me doesn’t even keep in touch. rude. (but seriously, ugly mugger, if you are reading this, i am just being silly. please please please do not try to get in touch with me. unless you want to return my wedding ring. that would be swell.) yes, new orleans can be a scary place. it is also the most alive, gorgeous, friendly, charming city i have ever known. and because of those reasons and countless more, i will miss this city soooo freaking much.
so, in honor of all things freaky and too damn pretty (a simple new orleans definition), i would like to introduce you to my nola bucket list. even if i only get to do a handful of these, i will consider it a success. after all, i have a few things going on: pack up an entire house, store or sell half of it (pray my heart doesn’t break), work work work (dem weddings don’t plan dem selves–cher), practice cajun accent (see previous phrase), figure out how to furnish an entire house without being in said house’s country, and you know, raise a lil dude and all. not to mention, i won’t actually be living in new orleans the month we move, so yeh, i’ll probably need help… with all the drinking (seriously, my list is pretty much all alcohol. you’re welcome).
#dothedamnolathing (my ridiculous hashtag–oh, there will be way too many pictures!):
1) have the purple drink at lafitte’s. call on my inner pirate. play the piano.
2) stroll down royal street. walk into an art gallery. pretend to be fancy.
3) have a dirty martini at the columns hotel. look for ghosts. write down their stories.
4) have a specialty beer at avenue pub. take a picture with my favorite wall painting. play pool. win.
5) go on down to the audubon zoo. i’ll ask for you.
6) visit the voodoo museum. buy something.
7) attend mass at st. louis catherdral. send powerful prayers to the dam.
8) get palm read in jackson square. believe everything.
9) sazerac bar, roosevelt hotel. carousal bar, monteleone. may baily’s place, dauphine new orleans. drink up.
10) one last coffee/writing date at mojo coffee house. order a white chocolate mocha. daydream for an hour.
11) hang out in the french quarter. join a second line. don’t get mugged.
12) walk stevie ray down washington street. point out our future house. pick up his poop. the usual.
13) buy a book at the garden district bookstore. something local, and not sucky.
14) one last vampire/ghost tour. actually pay attention. actually pay.
15) buy a king cake from sucre. do not share.
so, that’s it. my special list. just writing it down made me excited and a little drunk.
i am going to keep this short and weird so i can go do all those things i complained about earlier. i’ll rest when i get to the dam. or i’ll just stare at the walls and wonder how i got there…
holla. (i didn’t know how to end this post.)